Some of the current projects we are undertaking
MATHIESON MEMORIAL MUSIC CENTRE
The success of many children who have benefited from a musical education at the Mission's Behala (Kolkata) compound has been undoubted, with a number who have successfully passed through international conservatoires and on to professional careers, and others who have been successful with string quartets and bands, including the Indian military bands.
The MMMC now wishes to build on this success by offering a broader range of opportunities and is now seeking to acquire wind instruments (both woodwind and brass). The instruments can be bought in India.
If you would like to support this project with a donation you can do so by sending a donation:
1. for the Mathieson Memorial Music Centre work marked "Musical instruments"
to the General Secretary, who can be contacted at the address indicated on the contacts page of this site (click here).
Other projects we are undertaking
At the various sites in India and Bangladesh, the Oxford Mission is actively suporting the local communities. Part of our work is through specific projects aimed at improving conditions both at the Mission premises and within the local communities within which we work.
Current projects include the following:
- St. Joseph's school continues to be upgraded and improved. Following the intial retraining and renovations we are supporting further staff training and expansion to increase the number of pupils and extend the range of education.
- Old persons residence: The first phase of a significant expansion of the offering to the older residents of the area is now open, and further works will take place with the renovation of existing buildings on the former Sisters' side to be used to provide additional accommodation for old people.
- Tank clearing: A vital part of life revolves around the various "tanks" on site. They provide valuable sources of food (fish), and also provide much welcomed recreational facilities. Over the next year or so we will be restoring another tank .
- We have a number of well projects in hand. It is as important as ever for the drilling of wells that will be deep enough to get below the arsenic rich upper layers of soil and sub-soil. Clean and unpolluted water for the regions we serve is a vital part of the Mission's role.
- After 100 years of sevice the Sisters' house has been replaced with a new two storey building. This offers more modern accommodation, kitchen, library and other facilities and enables the extension of the current outreach. The visitor's accommodation will now also be upgraded.
Following this the Sisters are keen to improve:
- the on-site school facilities. This is expected to include the convertion of one of the former hostel buildings to provide much needed additional class rooms;
- and better disabled access to all the buildings on-site, including that of the Chapel. This is particularly important to enable good and safe access all year round, and especially in the wet season when flooding can prevent access for the infirm or handicapped.
- and provide better security by improving the boundary walls and fences and improving facilities generally.
What can you do to support us?
The Oxford Mission welcomes support in these projects and others. In particular, financial support through either ear-marked or general gifts, will enable us to bring these forward and help provide much needed assistance. Please contact the General Secretary, details of whom can be obtained here (click here)
Alternatively send us an e-mail, giving us your contact details, using the form below and we will contact you as soon as possible.
Please note we are still having problems receiving the e-mail addresses placed in the e-mail box in the form below. Please include both your name and e-mail address in the main text - if you don't we may not be able to get back to you! Thank you for your understanding while we correct this fault!